As you will all be aware the company has recently been undertaking a voluntary redundancy process flowing from the announcement earlier this year that staff reductions were necessary with the new Qantaslink contract.
Yesterday I received an update from the company as to what had come out of the VR process.
The company told me that engineers who have put their hands up for voluntary redundancy will generally need to continue working until April 30th 2017 while the training of remaining employees and other preparations for the contract etc continue. However they did indicate if an employee needs to leave earlier (e.g because they are offered a new job) that can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. A member who has agreed to take a VR and does have a need to leave before the nominated date next year should contact us here at the Association to discuss.
They were unclear about whether all employees that are subject to a CR will be asked to work until next April and that depends in some cases on the various ports. See the specific information below.
The information specific to each base is as follows:
Hobart – With the base to likely close in January the three positions are likely to be redundant. One LAME will transfer to Adelaide and one likely to transfer to Launceston. Peter Brown did however say that negotiations over Hobart are still continuing and it is not certain that it will close.
Darwin – The company had stated a need to reduce employees by four and four LAMEs have applied to take voluntary redundancy so no further reductions will be needed. The four LAMEs will generally be required until April next year as outlined above.
Perth – The company had stated a need to reduce employees by six and four LAMEs have applied to take voluntary redundancy so it is likely that there will be two compulsory redundancies.
The company is undertaking a process of identifying the two redundant positions and do not yet know if the two CR positions will be both B1s or B2s or one of each. The company claim this decision will take several weeks and will be based on licences held and time of service with the company (as per the Enterprise Agreement). They will consult when they have identified the criteria/positions.
Brisbane– The company had stated a need to reduce employees by three and there will be two voluntary exits. That leaves one position that will be the subject of a compulsory redundancy. The company is not sure whether this will be a LAME position or an AME position but will have decided that and will notify us of this in the near future (this week).
Alice Springs – The company had stated a need to reduce B2 LAMEs by two. Only one employee, who was a B1, has volunteered for redundancy and they are considering whether or not that employee can be released. This obviously means the two B2 positions are still to go but they will generally be required to work until next April.
Cairns – The company had stated a need to reduce employees by two and one LAME and one AME have applied to take voluntary redundancy so no further reductions will be needed. The two employees will generally be required until April next year as outlined above.
Of note was also that the company states they have a vacancy for a B1 LAME in Sydney and would be willing to fund 146 licence training for an internal applicant. I know it may not be feasible for many but be aware it is on offer.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or issues.
Please note – Noel Speers is currently on annual leave