How to become a LAME in Australia


To become a Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Australia you must be over 21 yrs of age and have had at least 4 yrs experience in aircraft maintenance or aircraft component maintenance. You must also have had at least 2 yrs experience in the category that the licence is for. A category is classed as Airframe (AF), Engine (Eng) or Electrical, Instrument and Radio (EI&R).


The best place to obtain that experience is through employment with an airline, the defence force or in General Aviation.


You must also be able to read, write and understand English as English is the world recognised standard language for aviation, and not have any disability that could affect your ability to carry out your duties.


You must complete a CASA endorsed training course on the aircraft type that the licence is for. (eg. Boeing 747, Cessna 120, and Bell 47). This is commonly known as aircraft type training.

Prior to completing aircraft type training you must have all of the Basic Knowledge requirements for the licence rating. Basic knowledge is related to things such as aircraft systems, structures and theory of flight.


Basic knowledge is proved by either passing all of the appropriate CASA core and specific group examinations (Commonly known as Basics), or completion of formal training from a recognised institution (as assessed by the CASA AME licensing section).


You must have also completed the Airworthiness Administration Basic examination (AA) within 24 months of the licence being issued.


You must demonstrate to CASA practical experience on the aircraft type that the licence is sought on. This practical experience can be in the form of a “Schedule of Experience” (SOE), which is a log of tasks carried out on the aircraft and signed by the LAME that certified for the tasks, or by a completing a Log of Industrial Experience and Achievement for other work that is related to the rating sought.


Once these conditions have been met you submit an application to CASA, and if CASA are satisfied with your knowledge and experience they should issue you with an AME Licence.


For further information the “Engineer Career Guide” found on the CASA website is very useful.


The sources of information on this subject were sourced from:
Civil Aviation Regulation CAR 31
Airworthiness Advisory Circular AAC Part 9 AME Licensing
AME Licensing Procedures Manual

Available from the CASA website